i don’t know about you, but i grew up seeing mostly white dolls that looked nothing like me. in fact, even the few black dolls i saw looked nothing like me. they had super straight hair, and sometimes blue or green eyes. where was the barbie doll with brown eyes and beautiful curly, kinky hair?
well now, i found a DIY tutorial that allows you to make even the doll with the finest hair, look a little more like you.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A doll
- End papers (sold at beauty supply shops)
- Pipe cleaners
- Boiling water
Note about end papers: If you start with a doll that has long hair and you plan to make a style similar to the style shown in my picture, you won’t need end papers, they’re optional. But if you start with a doll that has shorter hair and don’t plan to cut it any further, end papers will be essential.
1. Cut pipe cleaners into two-inch pieces and bend each one in half. They will look like little “V” shapes.
2. Section off a piece of hair and twist it into a tight spiral. The smaller the sections, the tighter the curls will be.
3. Wrap the spiral in an end paper (optional)
4. Place a pipe cleaner onto the scalp and pull the twisted section into the crook of the pipe cleaner. Be sure to keep the hair spiraled tightly as you zig-zag it.
5. When you finish zig-zagging each section, twist the pipe cleaner ends around each other to lock everything into place.
fully wrapped head
6. Once you have all the sections in pipe cleaners, dip the head in boiling water for the count of ten.
7. Wait for the head to cool – usually a few hours, but overnight is best. Rinse in cold water and place doll in freezer if you want to speed things up.
8. Take the pipe cleaners out.
9. If you have length to spare, trim each section to get rid of straight ends or strays.
feel free to leave it like this, or pick it out and make your doll’s fro as big as you desire. i don’t know about you, but i’m definitely going to be doing a few of these for my little cousin, who is currently very insecure about her own beautiful curly hair.
YOU ARE A HERO! Oh, God, I’m crying a little now. I needed this so BADLY when I was a little girl! *reblogs like a reblogging thing*
OH MY GOD
I’ve done this before actually and can attest that it works like magic!
Only when you scroll down the Arthur Read tag, do you realise how much you have in common with a TV show about 8 year olds. (part two)
Gulabi Gang, Hindi for the “Pink Gang” have taken it upon themselves to to protect the poor and call out India’s most corrupt officials. What started out with a few dozen women in the Banda District of Uttar Pradesh in Northern India turned into a group of twenty thousand members by 2008. Amana Fontanella-Khan’s new book, ‘Pink Sari Revolution,’ delves into the astounding success of India’s gang of fearless women for justice.
Read an excerpt from the book at Women in the World.
Remember IT IS NOT A WOMAN’S RESPONSIBILITY TO PREVENT RAPE. In the world we live in, however, women should be empowered with any tools in order to protect themselves. Source for more facts follow NowYouKno
i think the best but also saddest thing about this is that MEN created this product to protect women from MEN
Literally all she did was point out misognyistic tropes in a video games, and this is the aftermath. Men continually prove feminism correct and necessary.
Friendly reminder that you’re allowed to like a thing without knowing every single fact about the thing
You’re allowed to like a movie without having to know every crew member’s name
You’re allowed to like a book without having to memorize every page
You’re allowed to like a video game without having to know all the Easter eggs and cheat codes
You’re allowed to like things and not be an expert on things
Liking things isn’t supposed to be stressful
For The First Time Ever, All Four Eyewitness Accounts of The Murder of Michael Brown Put In Chronological Order: The most detailed side-by-side telling of each eyewitness account of the Mike Brown murder in chronological order #JusticeForMichaelBrown [@ShaunKing]
Reblog the fuck out of this
If you’re suicidal and still alive, I’m so fucking proud of you.
If you’re suffering from an eating disorder and still eating, I’m so fucking proud of you.
If you’re suffering from a mental illness and your fighting, I’m so. Fucking. Proud. Of. You.